Jollof Rice is an extremely popular dish throughout West Africa. It consists of rice with tomato, onion, garlic and red pepper, to which chicken, fish or beef is added. It can be served hot or at room temperature. Each family member has their recipe and their way of preparing it. Many times it has chicken, fish, or vegetables. This is a simple and very spicy vegetarian recipe.
- 4 cups of rice
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 red onion, minced
- 3 medium onions
- 3 canned tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- A little piece of ginger
- 4 hot chili peppers
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- Blend the ginger, garlic, chili peppers, canned tomatoes and two onions and reserve.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the chopped onion until lightly browned, then add the tomato puree and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the mixed tomato and onion mixture from before and cook for another 7 minutes. Add the broth, the bay leaf.
- Let it cook over low heat for about 3 minutes, while washing the rice to remove excess starch. When the rice is rinsed, add to the sauce, stirring to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Add 2 cups of water to the rice and sauce mixture. Stir, add salt to taste and cook until the water is almost evaporated.
Tip: this delicious preparation can be served with meat, fish or vegetables cooked separately on the same plate, or mixed at the end. It is often accompanied with a fried banana or salad.